Avocado, its scientific name is Butyrospermum parkii Kotschy. It is a deciduous tree with 10-15 meters high. Its trunk diameter is about 1 to 1.5 meters. Its bark is thick, with irregular cracking and milky sap. Leaves are in oblong shape, apex rounded or obtuse, base obtuse, rusty pubescent. Florescence period is in June and the fruiting period is in October.
The plant is originated from Mexico and Central America. It is now widely cultivated in California, which has become the world’s largest producer of avocado. It is also planted in many areas of tropical and subtropical regions including southern states of United States, Guatemala, Mexico and Cuba. China has started to grow avocado in provinces of Guangdong, Hainan, Chinese, Fujian, Guangxi, Taiwan, Yunnan and Sichuan as well.
Avocado is rich in fat which has been made to produce salad oil, cooking oil, margarine and soap.
It contains variety of vitamins, rich in fat and protein, and sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium and many other minerals. Besides consuming as fresh fruit, it also has been made into canned and preserved.
Due to its richness and balance of nutrients, there are lots of benefits can be gained from this fruit. The major benefits from avocado are as below:
1. anti-oxidant and anti-aging: Avocado contains glycerol acid, protein and rich in vitamins, with high water content but not too greasy. Glycerol acid is a type of natural anti-aging agent, it not only can soften and moisturize the skin, but also shrink pores and able to form an emulsion layer on the skin, which can effectively resist sunlight, to prevent tanning sunburn. Butter cream extracted from nuts is rich in nutrients, vitamin E, magnesium, linoleic acid and essential fatty acids. It helps to strengthen the cell membrane and delay the aging of epidermal cells.
2. breasts: Avocado is also rich in unsaturated fatty acids which can increase the elasticity of the chest tissue, containing vitamin A can promote the secretion of female hormones. While vitamin C can prevent chest deformation, vitamin E helps chest development.
3. Protect the liver: Studies have found that avocado contains an effective chemical ingredient that may help to protect the liver, and this finding will help people invent new drugs for treating liver diseases.
4. Beauty: Avocado flesh has a good affinity to human skin, can easily be absorbed by the skin. It helps to protect the skin from ultraviolet light. And the richness of vitamin E and carotene, which are very good for skin care, sunscreen and good health.
5. Diabetes remission: Avocado pulp has a very low sugar content, which is only 1/5 of banana. This make it a very good food for diabetic patients. Also, by soaking the peels in the water and drinking the water can alleviate the effects of diabetes.
6. Help protect ovary: Avocado can protect women’s uterus. Women who eat an avocado every week can help to balance their body’s estrogen, reduce the chance of excess weight after giving birth and prevent cervical cancer.
7. Baby food supplement: Avocado is one of the best complementary foods for infants.